Types of hosting services
A hosting solution implies keeping and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server hosted by a website hosting company. There are different forms of hosting services used for various ends, so let's take a peek at these. In this way, you can decide what you want, based on whether you'd like to build a web page, email accounts, or to share files with buddies and associates.
- File hosting: a service made available by particular vendors, which permits you to share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions often involve advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific span of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally amiss interpretation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would distribute the workload between autonomous packs of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different web hosting services (mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a variety of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given vendors offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting kind is good if you would like to share a big quantity of pictures with chums or colleagues since the service is mostly free of cost. You will receive a randomly generated link for every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to tackling your e-mailbox accounts. Some companies provide web page hosting solutions for sites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you want to possess a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to run a website, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can create mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video files and several hundred web page viewers, you may have trouble with your website hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to run as many video clips as you desire without worrying about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to have a site. To some extent, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting categories since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and emails, upload video files, and so on. At VirtualProHosting, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting solutions that permit you to have all of the aforesaid services in one location. There may be restrictions based on the form of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the customary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are meant for particular content only.